How much do you want it?
The first step to becoming a model depends on you. No one else can summon up the enthusiasm and drive required to succeed in the competitive modelling industry. Commitment and motivation cannot be taught: you either have it, or you don’t. Confidence is also a massive bonus, although shyness and self-doubt can be overcome in everyday scenarios. The bottom line is, you have to want to be a model, so plan your next move and keep at it. If you’re not prepared to put in the hard yards, you might as well as ditch your plans and think about other jobs. Modelling is enjoyable work and can be done to fit in with a hectic lifestyle, but research, organisation and dedication all play their part in a model’s success.
Before you even contemplate modelling, the check-list below will prove priceless. If you answer a “no” to any of these questions, you could be in for a brief (and disappointing) career:
Have you got:
- Organisation skills? No doubt you’ll be required to travel and take a few essentials with you to assignments, so managing your own schedule is vital for success (that said, Models Direct give all our models detailed information prior to their work and encourage feedback both during and after work).
- Flexibility? You don’t have to commit to one genre of modelling work, so take a look at the range of opportunities we offer, and see which ones best applies to you.
- Research skills? The more information about modelling and the industry you can amass the better. And what better to gain information than studying the Models Direct website?
- Social skills? As mentioned, confidence can be gained through life experiences, although shrinking violets will probably need to come out of their shell and becomes more gregarious. Meeting new people on assignments is a great way to finding more work. You don’t need to be the soul of the party, but an outgoing nature and jovial disposition will hold you in good stead. After all, modelling should be a heady mix of hard work and fun!
- Basic model features? No, you don’t have to be a muscled hunk or a leggy slim young lady, but a lot of assignments call for specific qualities. They don’t all concentrate of build or facial expressions, either. We have plenty of hair models, hand / feet models, and there are opportunities for plus size, mature, disabled and petite models. Play to your strengths, and focus on your best qualities. We also have a range of work available, from promotional gigs to TV appearances, magazine work and photo shoots. Which one could you succeed in?
What about a modelling agency? They have the contacts, the knowledge and the experience to help you in your job search, which in turn will provide you with more contacts and experience…it’s a two-way process, so read up on agencies and how they operate. Models Direct is your first “go-to” agency, having provided work to hundreds of models for more than 30 years.
Click here for information on how to apply.
Success with Models Direct could be just around the corner. Good luck!