Every model needs to be able to produce a smile at the right time, whether this is a gentle grin or a full beam.
As with most other things, practice makes perfect when it comes to smiling – and the more time you rehearse your different emotions, the easier it will become in front of a camera.
Spend time in front of a mirror, get a friend to take lots of shots with a phone and ask for other people’s opinions on what is working and what is not.
Here are a few of our own top tips to help you to see what works for you, so you can become all smiles….
- Look after your teeth and lips so you feel confident when grinning
- Close your eyes, relax your shoulders and take a few deep breaths before beginning
- Wet your teeth with your tongue regularly so mouth movement comes easily
- Keep your mouth relaxed and slightly open as you start to smile
- Try putting your tongue behind your upper teeth as you smile – this can help your lower lips to look plumper
- Try to keep your teeth visible when you smile – then vary the amount of tooth you show depending on the smile you want to achieve
- Stand in front of a mirror regularly to run through the range of happy emotions, from a tiny mouth raise to a huge guffaw
- Sit and watch a comedy film or programme – or your favourite stand-up – and ask a friend to take snaps as you enjoy yourself; then study the images and try to reproduce the emotions
- Visualise something that makes you smile inside and out because it makes you feel happy or that makes you actually chuckle because it is funny
- Remember to try to smile with your whole face, especially your eyes
- Try crinkling your eyes at the corners a little and raising your eyebrows slightly
- Practise smiling with your head tilted a touch
- Before a photo shoot aim to relax, chat to the photographer and enjoy being your natural, smiley self, this will make the following session feel much more natural
- Make the most of the whole experience and try to enjoy the photo shoot – again, this will help the smiles come much more easily
Models Direct is a team of real people who are all very experienced in the modelling industry, we are here to dicuss any questions you may have about modelling or how we work as an agency – get intouch today!