A few helpful pointers to consider when making your application to Models Direct…..
If you have made the decision to apply to be a model then it’s important to make your application stand out above the rest. The Models Direct team have put to together a few helpful pointers to get you started.
How should I look?
- Don’t wear make-up. If you do use it, go for light make-up using simple colours.
- Do not wear any hats, scarves or bandanas.
- If you hair isn’t long enough to tie in a ponytail, hold it back with a clip or band.
Look at magazines and catalogues to get some ideas for a good ‘commercial’ look. The most natural and flattering look is to pose with the head slightly angled. Try not to cut the picture off at any noticeable points, such as the shoulders, elbows, waist, or knees. Cut in between these points to soften the look and suggest continuation of the body.
Hints and tips for better photos
To make the most of photos taken by friends and family, suggest they follow these simple guidelines:
- Avoid ‘camera shake’ by holding the camera steady. Use both hands, resting your elbows on your chest, or on a wall for support. Relax: don’t tense up. You can buy affordable mini-tripods for use with digital cameras that will get rid of camera shake altogether.
- Direct eye contact can be as engaging in a picture as it is in real life. Hold the camera at the model’s eye level to unleash the power of those magnetic gazes and mesmerising smiles. For children, that means stooping to their level. Photos taken at eye level angle will have a personal and inviting feeling that pulls you into the picture.
- A photograph is all about light, so think about how the light is striking the model. The best bet is to ensure that the sun is behind and to one side of the photographer. Lighting the subject from the front brings out colours and shades, whilst the slight angle produces shadow to indicate texture and form.
- The best shots are simple, so move closer and remove any clutter from the picture. Filling the frame with just the face or even overflowing it will give your shot some impact.
As you have probably read hundreds of times, modelling is a very competitive industry!
We all know that fashion modelling is incredibly competitive, but Commercial modelling and the Talent industry as a whole is also very competitive and popular.
As an agency, Models Direct has to ensure they are representing their Talent in the best way possible and this starts with the images you have provided to them to promote you with.
If you are not an experienced model then being infront of the camera can be very daunting! Posing may appear natural and look simple, but there’s a lot to remember when creating the perfect pose!
The team at Models Direct have put together their top tips to help you feel more confident infront of the camera, resulting in the perfect pose!
Being selected for your FIRST assignment with Models Direct can be daunting, but also very exciting…. here’s what our male model Kurt had to say about his recent assignment experience:
“I have completed my first job for Models Direct and must admit that the afternoon spent in Cambridge having my photos taken was a very pleasant experience. The team involved on site were very professional and engaging, and made me feel at ease at all times. I would like to thank Models Direct for putting me forward for this job and would also add that the communication from them leading up to the day was very clear and easy to understand. I look forward to working with you again in the future. Great job!”
In an office that consists mainly of women there is plenty of discussion about beauty products, make up trends and DO’s and DON’TS when it comes to applying product!
So we thought the Models Direct team would share their thoughts on what’s best for models to do when it comes to their portfolio pictures and how much product to apply!!
When reviewing applications and new pictures at Models Direct, the New Face team are keen to see a natural look, they are often asking models to send in pictures with less make up on! This may surprise you, however clients are generally drawn to the models who are naturally photogenic, smiley and well presented, less is more!!